Cavalier Redtop 20XE Engine Conversion

Just found these old photos of when I installed a Redtop (20XE) into my M-Reg Cavalier GLS.The ‘XE came from a friends crashed Astra GTE.

I think this was September 2005.

The Cavalier had a rubbish 2.0L Ecotec engine, and at about 160,000 miles it started to cut out randomly and wouldn’t want to start now and again, so it was the perfect opportunity when sadly this GTE got written off in a smash.

Engine and F20 gearbox coming out of the GTE through the front, saved jacking up.

Cleaning up the engine, and replacing oil seals. Had to take the Gearbox and Flywheel off to get to the “rear” Crankshaft seal. 
Changed the Crankshaft and Camshaft seals, cambelt, water pump, idler and tensioner pulleys before fitting he engine, much easier out of the car! Made a tool to hold the Camshaft sprockets when tightening up the Camshaft sprocket bolts. Saved using a spanner on the flats on the camshaft inside the cam cover.
I noticed the clutch was no good when the gearbox came off, so I swapped it for another I had lying around.
Some of the M12 threads in the engine block casting had filled up with corrosion, so I re-tapped them. These holes hadn’t been used in the GTE, but were required for the Cavalier (down to engine mounts and brackets for driven accessories, like power steering etc..)

Cleaned up the CV joints and replaced boots on the bench too, beats doing it under the car!!
Dropping the engine in. Always very straightforward from above with the gearbox attached, quite a lot more tricky when leaving the box in the car.
Modifying the Cavalier GLS exhaust at the Catalytic converter to fit to the cavalier SRI (20XE) manifold I bought for the job. The manifold needed a spot of welding repair where the circular flexiable seal had worn through.

 Re-aligned the clutch at the end of the job, see home made slide-hammer, with uncommon M7 thread on the gearbox input shaft.